Re: wicd fails to start after upgrade

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 02:36PM -0500, Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

> >I'm running squeeze/sid (apt prefers testing) mainly testing yet I am
> >a bit confused as I can only seem to find version 1.7.0-2 of wicd on
> >my system but packages.debian.org states that the current testing
> >version is 1.6.2.2-4 and testing is 1.7.0-2 (my version). I tried
> >removing it and re-installing with 'apt-get install wicd=1.6.2.2-4'
> >with the reply: E: Version '1.6.2.2-4' for 'wicd' was not found?!?
>
> I also run testing/sid and my wicd is from testing.
>
> >Even if I remove the unstable and stable entries from sources.list and
> >apt/preferences no other versions show up
>
> I would not put all 3 dists in sources.list.  That could/would cause
> quite some mess.  testing/unstable is bad enough but you should be
> careful using it.  If I even 'think' about pulling in an unstable
> package, and it's dependices,  [...snip...]

I thought if you set up apt-pinning in /etc/apt/preferences that
should be possible without any major problems?

>   [...snip...]
>  I first run apt-listbugs on all of
> those packages before I download any of them

Yes, I have apt-listbugs installed and working here as well, yet I
can't remember any bugs for wicd coming up before the upgrade - of
course it was late in the night and who knows what I was seeing ;-)

Anyway, I removed unstable from the sources.list and tried removing
and re-installing wicd but I can still only get 1.7.0-2

> Yes 'apt-cache policy wicd' will show the packages in every dist you
> have in the sources.list, I believe. Here it shows both
> testing/unstable.

thanks, 'apt-cache policy wicd' shows
wicd:
  Installed: 1.7.0-2
  Candidate: 1.7.0-2
  Version table:
 *** 1.7.0-2 0
        700 http://ftp.ie.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

hmmm... 1.7.0-2 is testing??? And no 1.6...?
Getting more and more confused here... - Any hints?

> Hope this helps
>
> Wayne

Thanx a mil Wayne

Sebastian

--
A man of genius makes no mistakes.
His errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.