Suspend to Ram under Debian

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:06:42 +0000, T o n g wrote:

Re: [Solved] Suspend/Hibernate under Debian

> Hooray!!!
> It resumes fine!!!

FYI,

To suspend to Ram under Debian, the best doc is the included one, ie,

 /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.s2ram-whitelist.gz

The online version is at

Suspend to RAM
http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram

Please read it through carefully before continuing.

My machine is not in the whitelist, ie, it is a "unknown machine", so I
have to find workarounds.

What doesn't work:

 s2ram -f
 s2ram -f -a 2

What works:

 s2ram -f -a 1

tested under both the text console mode and X.

The numeric argument for option -a is from 1 to 3, specifying s3_bios,
s3_mode or both (1=s3_bios, 2=s3_mode, 3=both).

So my workaround would be:

* passing acpi_sleep=s3_bios to the kernel

* Since kernel 2.6.16, the acpi_sleep parameter can be set during runtime
  (no reboot needed) in /proc/sys/kernel/acpi_video_flags, with "1" for
  s3_bios, "2" for s3_mode and "3" for both.

[TIP]
Better to test under the text console. When it doesn't work for
me, I get a blank screen upon resuming. I can hear the hard disk
spinning, and I can see the the wireless LED come on when
resuming. CapsLock gets proper responds as well. This means
everything works fine except screen display. I just press up key
and correct the prevous command blindly, until that I found
's2ram -f -a 1' works, then tried it under X.

HTH

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/