Any way to create a new /var/lib/dpkg/status file for current Debian installation

So I have been using my current Debian instalaltion for almost a year now and over this time I have installed, purged and deinstalled a lot of packages. It seems that the status file maintains a list of all the packages and their current states that have been ever installed on the system since the fresh installation.

For example:
debian:/var/lib/dpkg# cat status | grep custom
Package: linux-image-2.6.28-custom-test1
Package: linux-image-2.6.28-custom-test2
Package: linux-image-2.6.29-custom-test1
Package: linux-image-2.6.29-custom-test2

The above packages are no longer installed on my system (since last 6 months) but the dpkg library (status file) stilll keeps track of them.

So my question is:
Is there any way by which I can regenerate a fresh "/var/lib/dpkg/status" file for all the packages that are currently installed on my systems? Nothing is wrong on my system as such but space is premium for me (even 1 MB matters) as I am using a compact flash of a relatively small size (approx. 512 MB). Another reason is that I am just curios to find out how to regenerate it if one has to.

Thanks