Re: Intel 2100 wireless firmware (ipw2100-1.3.fw) for Lenny installation

>On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
>
>I missed the beginning of this thread, so I'm not sure what the aptitude
>solution is.  I see that there's a firmware-ipw2x00 package in
>debian-backports.  If you haven't already tried that, you might want to
>give it a shot.

Hi all,

My apologies but it seems I had the wrong diagnosis.  Listed as 802.11 b compliant, the Intel 2100 mini PCI wlan card is limited to 11.1 Mbps transfer rate (specs available here http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2100/sb/cs-008171.htm).  My router at home is set for 54 Mbps, G-only mode.  The router I had it connected to at my office was in Mixed Mode, hence broadcasting at 54 and 11 Mbps, among others, so it connected at 11 Mbps.  I believe this accounts for why the wifi network is detected and listed by Gnome's Network Manager, but the laptop fails to connect to it at home.

It took a while but I think I've figured it out!

Thanks,
Mark