Re: console resolution

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
On 2010-01-22 at 09:00:54 -0500, Javier Barroso wrote:
> Seem like gfxpayload is the substitute, but now I can't find where is the
> doc (it doesn't appear in kernel-parameters.txt).

I'm really going out on a limb when I talk about grub2, since I only used
it for a very short time, but I seem to remember that gfxpayload sets the
video mode for grub itself.  I don't think it applies to the kernel proper.
The doc for grub2, such as it is, is at
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-2.en.html.  I gave up on grub2
rather quickly and went back to lilo when I couldn't get the vga option
to work; so I know very little about it.

set gfxpayload=keep will tell Grub2 to hand off the graphics settings to the kernel, which if configured properly will carry them forward. There are some other settings to tweak as well, insmod vbe and whatnot in the appropriate file, but that's about the gist of it. The nice thing is it makes for very smooth transitions when switching from terminal to x, as the display settings (if correctly configured) are already applied, thus, no ugly flashing of the screen and delay.

Best,
Arthur