ssh-agent, keychain, xsession bash_profile scripting

I've been chasing my tail trying to work this one out following different examples off the web, but can't sort it out and keep getting the old

"Could not open a connection to your authentication agent."

from ssh-add, and nothing but inaction from keychain.

I know everything has to run as a child of ssh-agent to gain access to its envvars, but I don't how to achieve this.

keychain id_rsa in my .bash_profile doesn't work, I still have to give ssh my password for the private key when I use ssh.

I guess I should be setting up the envvars in my bash env somehow when getting them via 'ssh-agent -s' but I don't know the syntax to do this.

I always boot into a command line and then run startx when I need it, and I think herein lies the problem - although I can't get it to work on the command line either with keychain or ssh-add.

Thanks
Adam