sound problem

Today, after 146 days, I finally got around to rebooting using the
2.6.30-2-686 kernel. This enables the udev upgrade *but* I get no sound.
When I reboot using the 2.6.26-2-686 kernel sound works as it's supposed
to but the udev upgrade will have to wait.

Why would I get no sound with 2.6.30-2-686? What logfile can I look at
that might give a clue?

--
"Advertising may be described as the science of arresting
 human intelligence long enough to get money from it."