phppgadmin - default encoding for new databases

I have just installed a new Debian Lenny system, and am now setting up the various components.

phppgadmin is set so that the default encoding for a new database is LATIN1. However if you try to create one with that encoding it fails telling me that I only have utf8 locales installed. I would like it to default to UTF8, but can't find out where this is specified.

Is this settable in phppgadmin, or is it a postgresql option?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk