Re: Theming GTK tooltips

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:40:22 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * Nate Bargmann [2010 Jan 11 17:27 -0600]:
>> * Camaleón [2010 Jan 11 13:54 -0600]:
>> > widget "gtk-tooltip*" style "tooltip" ***
>> >
>> > (note the last "asterisk", there must be only one)
>>
>> Thanks, Camaleó, that works just as I wanted it to
>
> I guess I wrote too soon.  After restarting X I note that the original
> packge picks up the custom tooltip colors just fine while any and all
> Debian packaged GTK apps that I've tried still have the default black on
> grey which is quite mystifying.  It's almost as though they ignore
> ~.gtkrc-2.0
>
> Strange as this persists even after logging out and restarting X.

Hum... maybe the package is not looking into "~/.gtkrc-2.0" and only
reads the global file of the current GTK style :-?

Tip: you can try to tweak "Raleigh" theme and change only the tooltip
style and see if that also works in the program. I think it is located
under "/usr/share/themes/Raleigh/gtk-2.0/gtkrc".

Make a backup copy of the original GTK theme before tweaking anything.

Tip 2: if that also does not work, try by using another theme. It seems
Raleigh is a bit simple and does not make use of an "engine" so you can't
tweak so much here.

In fact, the "gtkrc" file of that theme just says:

#
# This theme is the default theme if no other theme is selected.
#

No more, no less :-)

Greetings,

--