Re: New testing install; no /boot/grub/menu.lst exists.

>>  What is your 40... entry?

> Generic chainloader +1 stuff:
>   # OpenBSD 4.6 on /dev/hda1
>   title         OpenBSD 4.6
>   root          (hd0,0)
>   savedefault
>   makeactive
>   chainloader +1

>>  Are you loading the ufs module(s)?

> Never heard of 'em. Will research, thanks.

(1a) There is no (hd0,0) in grub2. sda = (hd0,1), etc

(1b) There are no "title" or "root" lines in grub2. The grub2 menu is
populated by a stanza of the type
menuentry <title> {
set root=...
[linux|freebsd|open.bsd] ...
}
or
menuentry <title> {
set root=...
chainloader +1
}

(2) I did not realize that you were using chainloader; insmod ufs
would be of no use to you for chainloading. However, if you want to
create a non-chainloader entry for openbsd, you would have to add an
"insmod ufs" or "insmod ufs2" line to the beginning of the (1b)
example above (I have no idea which would be required because I have
zero *BSD experience but I am mentioning both because those two
modules exist in my /boot/grub).