Re: Back to Debian after 10 years

>On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Matthew Moore <anonymous.jondoe@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday January 6 2010 1:52:11 pm Brent Clark wrote:
> On 06/01/2010 22:28, Vasco Costa wrote:
> > I'm planning to stay forever this time. :)
> >
> > To be really honest I've never really quit Debian since I kept using
> > stable in servers. I've only switched from Debian testing/unstable to
> > Gentoo and then Archlinux. Now that I also value a stable desktop I'm
> > sticking with Lenny on my laptop.
>
> I wouldnt bother, try Ubuntu.
>
>When I bought a new laptop a year ago, I spent weeks trying out Ubuntu, Arch,
>Suse, etc, and eventually went back to Debian. Debian on a laptop works
>fabulously.
>
>For an experienced linux user, Debian on a laptop provides a lot more
>flexibility, power, and performance than Ubuntu.

This has been my experience also, except I'm not even that experienced at Linux. My girlfriend bought a Dell Mini netbook half a year ago; I set up a dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04, then upgraded to 9.10.  Maybe it's because of dual-booting, but with Ubuntu wanting to keep installing new kernels it was a constant hassle keeping the grub menu behaving properly.  When a recent Ubuntu update temporarily broke Firefox we said enough, and I installed Squeeze.  I wanted to install Lenny (which I run on 4 of my own machines - 2 desktops and 2 laptops) but due to the alsa-conf version not supporting the modern audio hardware in the netbook, Squeeze was the answer.  She never wants to go back to Ubuntu after using Debian now.

Something about using Debian just feels "right".  But the beauty of Linux is we have the power of choice so if Ubuntu works for someone else I'm not one to try and change their mind.

Mark