Re: Back to Debian after 10 years

On 06/01/2010 22:28, Vasco Costa wrote:
I'm planning to stay forever this time. :)

To be really honest I've never really quit Debian since I kept using
stable in servers. I've only switched from Debian testing/unstable to
Gentoo and then Archlinux. Now that I also value a stable desktop I'm
sticking with Lenny on my laptop.

I wouldnt bother, try Ubuntu.

By the way, in case I want to go back to a rolling release scheme, how
does Debian testing/unstable behave in this regard for an experienced
power user? I know all the nuts and bolts of Archlinux, including
using the testing repo and ABS massively, so a comparison by someone
which has used both currently would be much appreciated.

I only ever use Debian testing for my workstations, and Ubuntu for my laptop.
You milage may vary, but for me, I vary rarely have issues, if at all.

I think if you run Testing, its no different if you run / use FreeBSD ports. You just need to know, and guess if its safe to do a dist-upgrade or upgrade only certain packages, but 99% of the time, I just dist-upgrade, and as said .. no problems here. Even Ubuntu, Ive never had a problem.

I work for a large hosting company in South Africa, and Stable is a blessing for our production servers, as it allows us to get on with the real work, and not have to worry. Just wish they would hurry and freeze Debian now already, I think testing is pretty stable.

Brent Clark