Re: Back to Debian after 10 years

Brent Clark <brentgclarklist@gmail.com> writes:

> I think if you run Testing, its no different if you run / use FreeBSD
> ports. You just need to know, and guess if its safe to do a dist-upgrade
> or upgrade only certain packages, but 99% of the time, I just
> dist-upgrade, and as said .. no problems here. Even Ubuntu, Ive never
> had a problem.

Actually in my experience most packages even in debian unstable are
generally less buggy, better integrated, and better maintained than the
average package in FreeBSD ports (which always seemed a bit of a
crapshoot to me).

"testing" is quite stable; "unstable" has occasional glitches, but is
generally of high quality, and far more more stable than the name
suggests.

I'd recommend "unstable" for anyone that is clueful about how a
GNU/linux system is put together (though these skills are rarely needed,
very occasionally they can save your butt), "testing" for the average
home user, and I suppose "stable" for paranoid corporate server
sysadmins.

-Miles

--
Barometer, n. An ingenious instrument which indicates what kind of weather we
are having.