slow workspace switching ATI Radeon 3850 fglrx/non-free RandR

Hi,

I recently switched from Xinerama to RandR to use my two monitors in a
dual head configuration. After doing that the switching between
workspaces is taking a lot of time (3-5 seconds), which was (almost)
instantaneous with Xinerama.

Is this a known feature for this card/driver or is there a magic setting
in a xorg.conf that can solve this? Or should I just revert to the
Xinerama?

I am using the latest version of the drivers as from the non-free Debian
testing repositories: 9.12-1 on a Debian AMD64 (testing) machine.

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld