Re: What is the right way to fix LANG or locale such that quotes appear properly?

On 2010-01-06 at 00:13:40 -0500, Foss User wrote:
> On my terminal (PuTTY terminal), I see that the quotes are displayed
> incorrectly. They appear as a with a caret over it. Here is an output:
>
> debian:~# echo $LANG
> en_IN
> debian:~# gcc a.c
> a.c: In function âmainâ:
> a.c:6: error: âasâ undeclared (first use in this function)
> a.c:6: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> a.c:6: error: for each function it appears in.)
>
> Currently, I am fixing by changing the LANG to en_US like this:
>
> debian:~# export LANG=en_US
> debian:~# gcc a.c
> a.c: In function 'main':
> a.c:6: error: 'as' undeclared (first use in this function)
> a.c:6: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> a.c:6: error: for each function it appears in.)
> debian:~#
>
> What is the right way to fix this problem?

When you first launch PuTTY, you get the PuTTY Configuration
menu.  Typically, you click on a pre-saved session under
"Saved Sessions", click the "Load" button to load that profile,
then click on "Open" to start your terminal session.

Follow this procedure instead.  Click on a pre-saved session under
"Saved Sessions", click the "Load" button to load that profile,
but do *not* click on "Open".  Instead, move the mouse pointer over
the "Category" section on the far left.  There should be four major
sub-sections there: Session, Terminal, Window, and Connection.
Move down to the "Window" section.  If it has a plus sign (+) next
to it, single left click on the plus sign to turn it into a minus sign,
or hyphen (-).  This will expose the sub-sections under the Window
Subsection.  If "Window" already has a hyphen next to it, then
the sub-sections under it will already be exposed.  You should now
see a "Translation" sub-section under "Window".  Single left click
on "Translation".

Now look over on the right side.  You should see a section called
"Character set translation on received data", under which is a
drop-down menu titled "Received Data Assumed to be in which character
set".  Single left click on the drop-down arrow on the right and
pick something from the menu that matches the language/locale that
the Debian server is using.

Now move the mouse pointer back over to the Category section.
Single left click on "Session".  Now single left click on the
"Save" button under "Load, Save, or Delete a stored session".
Now click on "Open" to launch your terminal session.

Hope this helps.