What is the right way to fix LANG or locale such that quotes appear properly?

On my terminal (PuTTY terminal), I see that the quotes are displayed
incorrectly. They appear as a with a caret over it. Here is an output:

debian:~# echo $LANG
en_IN
debian:~# gcc a.c
a.c: In function âmainâ:
a.c:6: error: âasâ undeclared (first use in this function)
a.c:6: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
a.c:6: error: for each function it appears in.)

Currently, I am fixing by changing the LANG to en_US like this:

debian:~# export LANG=en_US
debian:~# gcc a.c
a.c: In function 'main':
a.c:6: error: 'as' undeclared (first use in this function)
a.c:6: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
a.c:6: error: for each function it appears in.)
debian:~#

What is the right way to fix this problem?