Re: Roman Gelfand has invited you to open a Google mail account

On 20100105_105509, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Roman Gelfand put forth on 1/5/2010 9:55 AM:
> > I never sent this.  Outrageous.  This is real garbage.  Did this ever
> > happen to anyone before?
>
> This is the first I've seen of it.  I just copied the spam-l list.  I'm pretty
> shocked that Google would start spamming like this.
>
> It may be a new full on campaign they've started, or they may just be testing
> the waters to judge the level of outrage before starting a full on campaign of
> this crap.  Expect this to be Slash dotted by the end of the day, tomorrow at
> the latest.  This is total crap, and should be beneath a company of Google's
> stature.
>
> --
> Stan

In fairness to Google, no one who is a party to this conversation knows that
Google sent the spam. Google does have commercial competitors, some of whom
might view this as an amusing trick to play on Google. And there are in this
world *many* trolls whose motives for trolling are beyond my understanding.

I incline toward the troll theory. The spam showed up in my inbox about the
same time as a legitimate post from Roman, which is the perfect time to troll
a fake spam, but too time correlated with Roman's post to have been run up
the approval ladder in a competitor.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net