[SOLVED]Re: Problems with adobe-flashplugin

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 20:44:47 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I would start with aptitude reinstall adobe-flashplugin
> > >

> look in /var/cache/apt/archives for the deb file. if it's missing,
> maybe try manually downloading it, although I would think it would
> download it automatically... hrmm...
>

> > > and if that didn't work, I'd move to purging it altogether.
> >

> right. so I wonder if you removed a file that adobe-flashplugin was
> expecting to find?
>

> > Even dpkg-reconfigure does nothing except complain that iceape is
> > missing ( I never had it on this system)
>
> wierd.
>

> > I am at wits end....about to wipe the partition
>
> I don't think you're there yet... that's a pretty drastic measure.

  Well I reconsidered:) I googled until I found what I was looking for
exactly where apt keeps the info on package state...strangely enough
it's in a file called "status" :)
I hesitate to reveal this but what I did was open the file, removed
the adobe-flashplayer info..and resaved. Problem gone...aptitude is now
happy and will do whatever I ask (except make the coffee).
I know this is what would be considered brute force...but in my case
it worked. I DO NOT recommend it to anyone for any reason....but
if it works...it works. It doesn't **seem** to have any side effects.

- --
Frank