Re: Problems with adobe-flashplugin

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 09:51:03 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 11:59:03AM -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >

> > > I am having problems fixing the adobe-flashplugin package and
> [...]
> >
> > This is what happens when I try to dist-upgrade now:
> >

> > squeeze:/home/frank# aptitude dist-upgrade
>
> [...]
>
> > The following packages will be upgraded:
> >   libmysqlclient16 mysql-common
> > The following partially installed packages will be configured:
> >   adobe-flashplugin
> > 2 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not
> > upgraded. Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 49.2kB will
> > be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
> > E: I wasn't able to locate file for the adobe-flashplugin
> > package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.
> > Writing extended state information... Done E: I wasn't able to
> > locate file for the adobe-flashplugin package. This might mean
> > you need to manually fix this package. E: Internal error:
> > couldn't generate list of packages to download
>
> Stop trying to dist-upgrade until you've resolved the adobe issue.
> I'm not really familiar with the use of the package from adobe
> itself, to salt liberally.
>
> I would start with aptitude reinstall adobe-flashplugin

root@squeeze:~# aptitude reinstall adobe-flashplugin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
  adobe-flashplugin
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.

root@squeeze:~# aptitude remove --purge adobe-flashplugin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  adobe-flashplugin
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 10.4MB will be freed.
Writing extended state information... Done
dpkg: error processing adobe-flashplugin (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 adobe-flashplugin
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done

Weird, Aptitude says "trying to recover" but then does nothing or seemingly
nothing.

> Likely you'll need to try to figure out what you did with the adobe
> package and undo it completely.

  The ONLY thing in the Adobe tar.gz package was the flash library, which
I manually copied to 2 plugin directories. I have since removed them.
But somewhere along the line something got very foobared.

Even dpkg-reconfigure does nothing except complain that iceape is missing ( I never
had it on this system)

I am at wits end....about to wipe the partition

--
Frank