Re: KDE, openoffice bug

You may want to configure Thunderbird to recognize list mail and send
it as plain text automatically. The Thunderbird HTML destroys quoting
levels.

> Okay, well I used that command. BUT,  it DOES NOT list FIREFOX as one of the
> alternatives. There are only 4 listed:
>    1    /usr/bin/konqueror
>           2    /usr/bin/iceape
>           3    /usr/bin/opera
>           4    /usr/bin/iceweasel
>
> And I don't want any of those. I want Firefox to run from my personal
> directory, within home.
> Is there any way to ADD that to this program as an "alternative"
> browser?????

That is a good question, I've never tried to do that. I do not know
how x-www-browser knows what is a browser, but as Opera is listed (not
a default Debian package) then it must be possible to add browsers to
it's list.

When you configure Opera or Iceweasel, does OOo open them in that
browser or still use Konqueror? I need to know that to determine if it
is a KDE or OOo issue.

> Now, it MIGHT be possible to choose /usr/bin/iseweasel IF I can trick the
> "iceweasel" virtual link into redirecting the system to the
> /home/.../Firefox/Firefox program I WANT to raise?
>
> Any suggestions about how I could do that????

Soft link, I suppose.

> (Another probram I have with OOo, which MAY or MAY NOT be related is
> something that also developed late in my use of Mandriva 2008 version. I
> used that prior to switching to Debian Etch (and now Lenny) about 2 years
> ago. I frequently cut and paste from web pages into OOo writer --- as a way
> of saving data and notes, all in one document. But if there are little
> yellow cells, or "notes" embedded in the web pages, when I paste them onto
> an OpenOffice writer doc, the whole OOo program crashes. In Mandriva, this
> was a CRITCAL issue. It was the final straw that drove me away from
> Mandriva. In Debian, it's only started recently, and is infrequent --- but
> still troubling.)

You should start a different thread on this.

> Yes, including ODF and DOC files. Writers pretty much need this feature.
> It's critical!!!! (Not just personal fancy or choice; CRITICAL!!!!)
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I installed that mozilla-openoffice.org plugin.
> HOWEVER, the "mozilla" or "Firefox" option that was supposed to then appear
> in the OppenOffice writer tools --> options --> internet --> subdirectory
> did not appear. It still shows ONLY ---> Proxy, ---> search and ---> E-mail.

I am not familiar with the plugin, but from what I understood of Tom's
post it is a Firefox plugin, not an OOo plugin.

> I also considered upgrading to OpenOffice 3 from 2.4.1, but THAT seemed like
> it might louse up other programs, and adversely affect dependencies, so I
> removed OpenOffice3 and all the related libraries etc.

You would have to tackle them one by one. I personally have had no
issues with OOo 3.0 or 3.1 but my usage is much more basic than yours.

> Again, I don't think the problem is KDE. All the other programs I'm running,
> including non-KDE programs like eg Thunderbird, and audio and video
> programs, recognize Firefox as the system default

That's why I want you to change the default to Opera to see how OOo behaves.

> Any more suggestions are more than welcome. I'd file an OpenOffice bug
> comment if I could figure out how to use that system, but it's "Greek" to me
> (no offense meant, and I hope none taken, to any Greeks on this list)!

This is the OOo QA registration page:
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/Join

--
Dotan Cohen