Re: Help with ndiswrapper and Broadcom wireless

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:29:50 -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> > JoeHill wrote:
> > >
> > > It worked!
> > >
> > > Well, I still am not on wireless, because I use WPA on my router and I'm
> > > not sure how to get that configured yet on the notebook, but at least
> > > this time when I repeated your instructions, I got this:
> > >
> > > tablet:/home/lajolla# modprobe -v wl
> > > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/net/ieee80211/ieee80211_crypt.ko
> > > install /sbin/modprobe -qr b43 ssb; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install wl
> > > rmmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/ssb/ssb.ko
> > > rmmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia.ko
> > > rmmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/base/firmware_class.ko
> > > rmmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.ko
> > > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko
> > > tablet:/home/lajolla# iwconfig
> > > lo        no wireless extensions.
> > >
> > > eth0      no wireless extensions.
> > >
> > > eth1      IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:""  Nickname:""
> > >           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point:
> > > Not-Associated Bit Rate:14 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm
> > >           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
> > >           Power Managementmode:All packets received
> > >           Link Quality=5/5  Signal level=0 dBm  Noise level=0 dBm
> > >           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
> > >           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
> >
> > Okay, now it's hosed again. When I boot up and do 'modprobe -v wl', I get no
> > 'rmmod' lines, as above, it's totally different:
> > tablet:/home/lajolla# modprobe -v wl
> > WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc, it
> > will be ignored in a future release.
> > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/net/ieee80211/ieee80211_crypt.ko
> > install /sbin/modprobe -qr b43 ssb; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install wl
> > WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc, it
> > will be ignored in a future release.
> > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko
> >
> > And, of course, I get no wireless :-(
>
> It seems that your system still does not recognize the presence of the
> Broadcom device reliably. You have to check the lspci output before
> anything else. (The rmmod lines for the successful attempts show that
> the system had already loaded another driver for the device, which only
> happens if it is recognized.)
>
> > Help!
>
> Try what I suggested earlier regarding rf switch, BIOS settings and
> configuration under Windows. If nothing else helps, install a newer
> kernel and rebuild the wl module.

I've been through all the BIOS options, nothing in there about wireless as far
as I can tell. The switch for the wireless has no effect, other than to cause
the device to disappear from lsusb.

This is the weird thing: I did a reinstall of the OS yesterday to get 'clean
slate' (hopefully), and when I first booted up the new install I did lspci and
lsusb. lspci showed the Broadcom device as I originally posted, lsusb showed
the HP integrated wireless device.

I would like to try to install a newer kernel, but I'm having trouble finding
where to get that. I did apt-cache search linux-image to see what was
available, but nothing newer than mine was listed. Right now I have
2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP.

Thanks again.