Re: Help with ndiswrapper and Broadcom wireless

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 14:28:13 -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > > Okay, now it's hosed again. When I boot up and do 'modprobe -v wl', I get no
> > > 'rmmod' lines, as above, it's totally different:
> > > tablet:/home/lajolla# modprobe -v wl
> > > WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc, it
> > > will be ignored in a future release.
> > > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/net/ieee80211/ieee80211_crypt.ko
> > > install /sbin/modprobe -qr b43 ssb; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install wl
> > > WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc, it
> > > will be ignored in a future release.
> > > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko
> > >
> > > And, of course, I get no wireless :-(

[...]

> > Try what I suggested earlier regarding rf switch, BIOS settings and
> > configuration under Windows. If nothing else helps, install a newer
> > kernel and rebuild the wl module.
>
> I've been through all the BIOS options, nothing in there about wireless as far
> as I can tell. The switch for the wireless has no effect, other than to cause
> the device to disappear from lsusb.

Since you keep ignoring my questions about this device under Windows, I
will assume that you do not have Windows installed on this laptop.

> This is the weird thing: I did a reinstall of the OS yesterday to get 'clean
> slate' (hopefully), and when I first booted up the new install I did lspci and
> lsusb. lspci showed the Broadcom device as I originally posted, lsusb showed
> the HP integrated wireless device.

I do not understand why you are not posting the relevant part of the
"lspci -knn" output; I have asked for it repeatedly.

> I would like to try to install a newer kernel, but I'm having trouble finding
> where to get that. I did apt-cache search linux-image to see what was
> available, but nothing newer than mine was listed. Right now I have
> 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP.

If you run Squeeze then it should be possible to install a 2.6.30 kernel
from Sid; backports.org has 2.6.30 kernel images for Lenny.

          Florian   |