Re: Help with ndiswrapper and Broadcom wireless

Dne, 02. 07. 2009 06:22:48 je Thierry Chatelet napisal(a):
> On Thursday 02 July 2009 05:09:51 JoeHill wrote:
> > I first tried to get wireless working following this page on the
> Debian
> > Wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx
> >
> > but then found out that my particular device was not supported by
> that
> > driver.
> >
> > I then tried the tutorial on this page:
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper
> >
> > I have a Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03), so I
> got the
> > driver from HP, the vendor of this notebook. It is installed, and
> shows up
> > in ndisgtk, but shows 'Hardware present: no'.
> >
> > I installed wicd to see if that would at least let me see more of
> what was
> > going on, but although it says it's running, when I try to access
> the wicd
> > network manager, nothing opens. Gnome network manager shows no
> wireless
> > connection.
> >
> > Any tips really greatly appreciated.
> >
> > --
>

> A Linux driver for the Broadcom bcm43xx wireless chips.
> Broadcom never released details about these chips. So this driver is
> based
> upon reverse engineered specifications.
>
> This driver was included into the Linux kernel since 2.6.17-rc2.
>
> Another branch of this driver, based on the Devicescape 802.11 Stack,
> which
> should be the future in Linux wireless support and which supports
> capabilities (namely, full WPA support), can be found in the
> wireless-dev
> tree:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-
> dev.git
>
> The bcm43xx-fwcutter tool (required - see documentation for further
> info) can
> install with aptitude.
> So remove ndiswrapper and try again.
> Give some detail from ifconfig, iwconfig..
>

> --

Another suggestion: the proprietary driver downloadable from broadcom's
website works exceedingly well for BCM4321, so chances are it would
work with your hardware as well. The driver comes with exhaustive
instructions for compiling, so it is relatively hassle-free to install.
But, needless to say, it does not follow the Debian free software
guidelines... and is therefore not supported by Debian in any way, I
thik.

Good luck!

--
Certifiable Loonix User 481801