Re: new printer: USB or network? [SOLVED]

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:36:32 -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

> So you really need NAT. What you can do is configure you NAT to forward
> incoming requests to your computer. ...
> Or you could simply connect the printer via USB. In this case (and if
> you're the only one using it), I'd be inclined to use that option.

I now have an incoming rule on the Netgear router that allows my remote PC to
connect to the PC on the local network via ssh.  It's working fine.

I did try USB first.  Its big disadvantage is that my virtual XP machine
(VMware Server 1) gives the blue screen of death when it tries to print to
the Phaser via USB.  I had the same experience with a USB scanner with both
Server 1 and 2.  Server 1 works with an old USB inkjet and with USB flash
drives.

Regardless of the connection, there also seems to be a problem with Xerox's
linux driver for the Phaser 6280DN.  Someone else is helping me with that,
and if that gets resolved I'll post it to the original thread.

Thanks.