Re: how to put packages on hold -- permanently

Robert David put forth on 12/29/2009 5:20 PM:

> I dont understand why so many people today use pure apt-get for everyday
> package management.

I started using aptitude after upgrading from Etch to Lenny.  I now use it
exclusively instead of apt-*.  It's much more powerful and user friendly, and
the package search function returns more relevant and limited results.  For instance

:/$ aptitude search postf
:/$ apt-cache search postf

aptitude only returns packages whose name contains "postf"

apt-cache search returns the same ones containing "postf" but also all kinds of
stuff that is only tangentially related to "postfix", which apt-cache search
_assumes_ is what you're searching for.  In some circumstances I might prefer
the apt-cache search results, as these can inform you of packages you didn't
previously know about, and which are handy, such as pflogsumm, which doesn't
show up in the aptitude search results.  I suggest people play with both and
figure out which of the two works best in a given situation.  apt-* can still be
more useful in some circumstances.  Then again, maybe aptitude can do all the
same things with cli switches.  I've not played with it enough yet.  So far I
really like it.

Also, either I never became completely familiar with apt-* functions, or
aptitude show is completely new.  I love it.  I can get detailed package
information using it and find out if a package is currently installed or not.

--
Stan