Re: Debian Etch Install

Cecil Knutson put forth on 12/20/2009 1:47 PM:
> Hello, Osamu,
> 	The system is connected to a home DSL network.  I did not try to download any
> packages, but that doesn't mean the install program didn't.  I was using the
> four-DVDs of the standard Etch distribution.  It does make sense that the
> install would hang if it tried to get files from the wrong address.  I tried
> to download the DVD images for Lenny  last night, but Bit-Torrent was just
> too slow (10 hours) and it was not at all clear to me what I was supposed to
> do to enable Jigdo.  So, I will have to make up my mind as to how to get
> Lenny and try that.  Thanks for the help.

Just do a friggin pure net install and be done with it already.  Every Debian
install I've ever done was a net install, never CD or DVD.  Local media installs
are for pussies, or masochists. ;)

Get the boot floppy images or net install boot CD ISO (tiny ISO file), or if
you're really cool and hip, make a net boot USB stick.  Boot, run the installer,
and when it starts grabbing files from the mirrors, go catch a sitcom episode or
cook dinner.  By the time you're done, the files will all have been pulled down.

To be completely honest, I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would
install any Linux distro from local media these days.  By the time the media
hits the shelves, there are hundreds of security updates you have to pull from
the web.  It makes more sense to do a net install and get all the sec updates
right off the bat.

Long live the net install.

--
Stan