Re: Debian Etch Install

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 11:09:46PM -0800, Cecil Knutson wrote:
> Dear List,
> 	I just tried to install Debian 4.0r4a-i386 (Etch) on a Dell Dimension 8400,
> Pentium 4/3.oGHz, 4GB RAM, using two different sets of DVDs.

Pretty powerful one.

> With either set
> of DVDs, the install routine would hang just after the Tasksel dialog box
> asking to choose the software to install.  I tried it several different ways:
> with and without the mirror, few and all selections, etc.  They all hang at
> the "Select & Install Software"  - Please wait" message.  There would be no
> hard drive activity and the DVD would spin down after a minute or so.  I
> don't know how long it would sit like that, but it sits for over 15 minutes.
> I began to suspect the partitioner, as it seemed to format 160GB in record
> time.  I have never seen any drive format as quickly.  Anyone have any ideas
> as to what could be happening?  Thanks.

Etch is obsoleted distribution.  Unless you have specific reason, please
use current release: lenny.

 http://www.debian.org/distrib/

I have no idea what is hapening on your system.  Are you connected to
network and tried to download packages?  URL for archive has changed so
old install disks are not expected to work without special tweak by the
user.  New URL for APT lines are http://archive.debian.org/

If you learn basics of APT system, it is not so difficult.
 http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html

Osamu