Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?

In <[🔎] bf0c3b3f0912171508se2c202tfeb4265367abcf78@mail.gmail.com>, Mathieu
Malaterre wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:13:22 -0800
>> John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:21:34 -0600
>>> sys49152@hushmail.com dijo:

I wouldn't say that the apt suite is being neglected.  If you have some
specific issues, I think we can explain them.  If there are bugs, I think the
apt team would certainly fix them.

That said, the interactive resolver for aptitude probably won't be rolled into
apt-get and it may be the best way to deal with complex dependency issues.

>>> But all the people in the know about Debian tell me I should be using
>>> aptitude.
>>
>> "Note that aptitude is the preferred program for package management
>> from console both for package installations and package or system
>> upgrades."
>
>I cannot figure out how to do that with aptitude:
>
>$ apt-get source cmake

AFAIK, not possible with aptitude.  (If I'm wrong, this is the Internet, so I
expect to be corrected quickly.)

This is not a use case for which I've ever seen aptitude suggested, and not
even "hardcore" aptitude users would call for the removal of apt-get, or any
of the rest of the apt suite.

While I haven't used apt-get in quite a while, I still make extensive use of
apt-cache and some use of apt-key.  My opinion is that aptitude is a better
package manager, but that is possibly limited to *binary* packages.  The
(vast) majority of packages users deal with are binary packages anyway.