calling US 800 numbers from abroad via VoIP

[Also posted to Newsgroups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip]
Hello. I live in Taiwan and use Debian Linux.
I want to call an 1-800 toll free US number,
which of course is not toll free when calling from Taiwan.
So how can I use this VoIP stuff to bridge the gap?
I'm sure I'm capable of installing whatever .deb Debian software package
is needed. But then what IP address would I direct my traffic to to make
the jump from the Internet into the Phone system?

My friend uses the Skype stuff, but all I want to do is make one or two
calls to some 800 numbers, so don't want to subscribe to anything, pay
any money, nor do I own a credit card.

Hmm, I suppose I should be cautious, as somebody might offer me a
IP destination, and then tap my call.