Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:13:22 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:21:34 -0600
> sys49152@hushmail.com dijo:

> >For several years, I have enjoyed apt-get as a very powerful
> >software install tool that doesn't require a mouse, but I have been
> >finding it increasingly problematic over the past year or so.  I am
> >beginning to suspect that apt-get is becoming aged and neglected.
> >Is there a newer/more modern package tool that has been getting
> >more development attention that I should be using instead?

> But all the people in the know about Debian tell me I should be using aptitude.
> I suppose I should switch, but that would require learning new stuff. After a
> graduate degree my brain is full, so if I learn new stuff I'll have to delete
> some of the old stuff. Bah.

"Note that aptitude is the preferred program for package management
from console both for package installations and package or system
upgrades."

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-aptitude

Celejar