Re: email server-static IP

Paul Cartwright put forth on 12/15/2009 4:36 AM:
> On Mon December 14 2009, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> The devil is in the details.  If your home broadband ISP is going to
>> host your DNS, you _must_ inform your domain registrar, Netsol in this
>> case, of your new DNS servers' and their IP addresses.  Then you must
>> explicitly tell your broadband ISP exactly what records you want in your
>> zone file and the contents of each record.  To minimize downtime (lost
>> email), you'll want your broadband ISP to already have your DNS zone
>> created and ready _before_ Netwol switches your domain records.  Your
>> TTL is 900, or 15 minutes, so you shouldn't have to worry about any lost
>> mail during the DNS switchover, ASSUMING YOU HAVE EVERYTHING ELSE SETUP
>> CORRECTLY.
>
> not to mention, I have to cancel my current hosting setup, get them OUT of the
> loop. I have already emailed my ISP, and they can take care of all the zone,
> and MX records.

I'd recommend entering your Netsol control panel and switching the DNS
servers to your home ISP after you've verified the zone file exists
(dig) and you've got your MTA setup on your box at home.  DO NOT inform
your current DNS/hosting provider of the change.  Test your new solution
to make sure it's all working.  Keep your current solution in your back
pocket for assurance.  If you run into prolonged trouble getting the new
solution working, you can log into your Netsol panel and switch the DNS
servers back and restart the old solution.  Oh, and have your ISP setup
your TTL there for 900 seconds as well.  The best laid plan can go to
hell in a heartbeat, so have a backup plan.

>> If you're running an internet mail server (SMTP) at you home, POP/IMAP
>> will be handled on your local private network, and thus aren't part of
>> the current discussion.  I guess this would be a good time to point out
>> that you haven't yet mentioned how you plan to get to the mail that's
>> delivered to your MX, or what you plan on having your MTA do with
>> internet mail once it arrives.
>
> dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config, setup my box as my domain host, have the mail
> show up in /var/mail, and bring it into kmail as a local user.

Sounds like you may have this part under control.  However, for reasons
previously stated, you'd be far better off running your internet mail
mta on a dedicated box with a decent UPS powering it.  It doesn't have
to be anything special.  A used 300-400Mhz PII or Celeron box with 128MB
ram and a 20GB IDE disk would work (would even be overkill), but should
be cheap.  Do a compact install of Debian on it, no GUI.  The only extra
piece is adding a pop or imap server to allow grabbing the mail via MUAs
on other PCs, and a cheapo switch and a couple of patch cables if you
don't already have enough ports in your broadband router/switch.  I
recently purchased an 8 port 10/100 Rosewill switch from Newegg for
$9.95 to prevent having to run multiple segments of cat5 to a room.
Works great.

--
Stan