Re: email server-static IP

On Mon December 14 2009, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> The devil is in the details.  If your home broadband ISP is going to
> host your DNS, you _must_ inform your domain registrar, Netsol in this
> case, of your new DNS servers' and their IP addresses.  Then you must
> explicitly tell your broadband ISP exactly what records you want in your
> zone file and the contents of each record.  To minimize downtime (lost
> email), you'll want your broadband ISP to already have your DNS zone
> created and ready _before_ Netwol switches your domain records.  Your
> TTL is 900, or 15 minutes, so you shouldn't have to worry about any lost
> mail during the DNS switchover, ASSUMING YOU HAVE EVERYTHING ELSE SETUP
> CORRECTLY.

not to mention, I have to cancel my current hosting setup, get them OUT of the
loop. I have already emailed my ISP, and they can take care of all the zone,
and MX records.

> If you're running an internet mail server (SMTP) at you home, POP/IMAP
> will be handled on your local private network, and thus aren't part of
> the current discussion.  I guess this would be a good time to point out
> that you haven't yet mentioned how you plan to get to the mail that's
> delivered to your MX, or what you plan on having your MTA do with
> internet mail once it arrives.

dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config, setup my box as my domain host, have the mail
show up in /var/mail, and bring it into kmail as a local user.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800