Re: email server-static IP

On Mon December 14 2009, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> From previous posts, I thought you already had an internet mail server
> running at a colo facility, or a VPS server running an internet mail
> server, and thus the basic prerequisite experience to setup another
> internet mail server.  Now, from you statement above, it is clear you
> have no idea what an "MX record" is or where/how to implement it...

I asked my ISP, and the response I got tells me they can take care of all the
MX records, and those kinds of things. Yet, I agree, there is lots more to
it. Not the smallest of which is S P @ M containment. Going from a hosting
service that has all the background & utilities in place, to my own server
that has... nothing.

>You _must_ read up on the basics of internet mail server configuration
>before you continue this journey of yours.  By this I don't mean read
>the docs for Postfix or Sendmail or Exim.  By this I mean you need to
>read about the architecture of internet smtp mail.  The RFCs are a
>difficult read, and parts of them are out of date.  I suggest you find a
>layman's guide to internet mail architecture.  There are many available
>via Google et al.

WHich RFC's, SMTP, POP3, IMAP?

--
Paul Cartwright