Re: email server-static IP

Paul Cartwright put forth on 12/14/2009 6:11 AM:
> On Mon December 14 2009, Jon Dowland wrote:
>> If you run your mail on a dynamic IP you will probably find
>> many sites rejecting it -- it may be listed in a PBL such as
>> http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/ (either now, or in the future).
>> I'd recommend relaying your outbound email via either your
>> ISPs smtp server or another one you have access to.
>
> so, rather than using DynDNS, if I just go to my ISP and get a static IP, that
> will get me an MX record? Am I chasing all this because I don't have a static
> IP?

Paul, I think you are about to find out that there is a lot more to
setting up and running an internet mail server than installing some
packages on a machine and clicking "go".

>From previous posts, I thought you already had an internet mail server
running at a colo facility, or a VPS server running an internet mail
server, and thus the basic prerequisite experience to setup another
internet mail server.  Now, from you statement above, it is clear you
have no idea what an "MX record" is or where/how to implement it...

You _must_ read up on the basics of internet mail server configuration
before you continue this journey of yours.  By this I don't mean read
the docs for Postfix or Sendmail or Exim.  By this I mean you need to
read about the architecture of internet smtp mail.  The RFCs are a
difficult read, and parts of them are out of date.  I suggest you find a
layman's guide to internet mail architecture.  There are many available
via Google et al.

--
Stan