Re: Networking problem

Am 10.12.2009 um 15:22:17 schrieb freeburn:

> I'm describing the scenario. plz help me with this.
>
> In our office we have set up a private network. a central dhcp server
> assigns private Ip's to all the Desktops. Now recently we are developing
> an automated sms application. so we have made a wired connection with a
> local operators smpp server. they gave us an ip and port that should be
> used to get connectivity.
>
> Now we want to use a machine which will be connected with the smpp
> server and also connected with the office network for accessing our
> remote content server(where our website is hosted). I have tried to use
> two ethernate cards. but then the machine has two ip adresses one from
> dhcp server of our office and another for smpp server.my networking
> knowledge is zero. i know this question does not qualify for this
> mailing list, but linux community was always helpful to me so i thought
> they will help me out off the record:D

your approach with two ethernet-cards looks reasonable.
but you have to manage the routing on this particular machine.
if the ip-address the provider gave you is in a different subnet, you are set and ready to go.
if not, you have a problem which you can solve by either implementing complex routing or changing your internal addressspace.
if it does not work with the two interfaces, try debugging with ping/traceroute and look for problems.
maybe you should get in contact with local professionals to fix this issue.

bye,

Michael.