Re: What can I run on Stable?

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 12:25:36AM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:07:56 -0600
> Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 08:23:56PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > I absolutely require the following:
> > >
> > > Gnome desktop (yes, I've tried all the others)
> >
> > This works fine in Lenny.
>
> I have used Gnome on Ubuntu for four years and never had a significant problem.
> But when I installed Testing it came with 2.8.1. After a few days of working
> with it I rebooted. And when X came up I had lost the gnome-panel and metacity.
>
> Later I installed Fedora 12 (Gnome 2.8.0), and got bitten by the same bug. And
> then I installed OpenSuse 11.2 (Gnome 2.8.0), and gotten bit once again by the
> same bug.

You might want to consider using a different desktop environment until
the bug gets sorted out.  Maybe LXDE or XFCE.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get everything to work, but so far
it looks like there are quite a few distros w/ that bug.  If you can
learn to love LXDE, maybe you can find happiness...

-Rob