Suggestions for desktop search application

Hello,

I'm looking of a desktop search utility that can to search mainly within
(inside) documents, mostly "pdf" and "odt" files, but not limited to
these ones (if it also could index Icedove e-mails would be great).

I was using Beagle (not so long time ago) under openSUSE and was pretty
good for this task but I don't know about any other options available -if
any- under Debian (Lenny).

Beagle is quite good but it makes use of Mono libraries and I have read
some disappointments about this (not only regarding Mono license but also
for making the system to run a bit slow wile indexing and to be some
resource consuming).

So, what would be your recommendations for this task? Any preferred tools
for this?

Thanks!

Greetings,

--