Re: Suggestions for desktop search application

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:19:48 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking of a desktop search utility that can to search mainly within
> (inside) documents, mostly "pdf" and "odt" files, but not limited to
> these ones (if it also could index Icedove e-mails would be great).
>
> I was using Beagle (not so long time ago) under openSUSE and was pretty
> good for this task but I don't know about any other options available -if
> any- under Debian (Lenny).
>
> Beagle is quite good but it makes use of Mono libraries and I have read
> some disappointments about this (not only regarding Mono license but also
> for making the system to run a bit slow wile indexing and to be some
> resource consuming).
>
> So, what would be your recommendations for this task? Any preferred tools
> for this?

I've been using recoll for a while and I rather like it.  It's not
flashy, but it works quite well.

Some possibly useful links:

http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Comparison_of_desktop_search_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_search_engines#Desktop_search_engines