Re: live cd/usb projects?

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 04:45:31PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the detailed instruction Rob, really appreciate it.
>
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:52:34 -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
>
> > 9) With your USB drive inserted and not mounted:
> >
> > (replace "X" with the proper letter for your device) dd if=binary.img
> > of=/dev/sdX
>
> Several questions regarding this step:
>
> - what's the underlying file system does the binary.img have, vfat?
Yes, it is vfat.  However, I think if your image is over a certain size
it is created using a different filesystem (I can't remember which, and
I can't remember exactly where I read that).

> - what bootloader does it use?
syslinux.  There is an option in lh_config to specify "--bootloader
grub" or "--bootloader yaboot" if you want/need to use one of those.

> - is there any other way to install the content, say copy into a ext3
> partition?
I think you should be able to mount binary.img as a loopback interface.
You might need to specify "-t squashfs" in your mount command, and for
that you might need some special squashfs tools.  I think I did this
once, but I don't remember the steps.

If you're concerned about adding packages w/o using "-p mylist", you can
add "--interactive enabled" into the lh_config command.  That'll give
you a shell before the image is created (after you run lh_build).  There you can add
repositories, install software, etc.  When you exit the shell, the build
will continue.

> - how can I create an .iso file instea?
Use "-b iso" instead of "-b usb-hdd" in the lh_config command.  I'm not
sure if/how persistence would work if you create a live CD.  I've never
tried it.

> I know all above questions are of RTFM ones (though scattered all over
> the places), so please ignore me if they bother you.

No problem.  There are many conflicting sets of instructions floating
around on wikis, etc.  It took me a long time to get this stuff figured
out.

-Rob