Re: live cd/usb projects?

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 04:07:45PM -0400, Geoffrey Lane wrote:
> Will try to make long story short here, I know I probably just need a
> larger drive to accommodate a full distro but I can't afford to right
> now. I have been reading but unsure of the outcome, being pulled into
> other directions. I also wanted to ask somethings before I start.
>
> I've been looking around to find a good desktop replacement style live
> cd. I know I need to just spend some more money on a larger usb
> thumbdrive but in this economy who can blame me for trying to get most
> bang for my buck?
>
> My thumbdrive is a biometric (as in fingerprint reader) 2gb drive. It
> partitions the "safe" data aside from public files. I want to
> repartition it to allow roughly 512-768mb for Linux - in this case less
> is better!
>
> Perhaps I'm picky and I'll be the first to admit that. My ideal is of
> course Debian and apt-get/deb. The Debian/xfce live cd is ok @ 400mb but
>  I'd like to shrink it or keep it same size with my preferred apps. The
> remaster guide is straight forward - similar to my knoppix (except back
> then it was cloop). I  have also looked at other live cd scripts like
> the one slax uses [http://www.linux-live.org/] and the ones listed in
> Debian repo. I'm cautious because the Debian scripts (SEEM) to be no
> longer maintained, and the slax scripts are designed for Slackware
>
> I wonder first how many has done what I'm looking to do? Are there some
> people using linux-live script to make one, or another method? Am I
> making things to difficult? I mean are my expectation on size too much?
> Are there projects like this (maintained)? My ideal cd is a "desktop
> replacement", I could use xfce, openbox, fluxbox, e17 - ANYTHING. I want
> things like internet apps (web, email, ftp, irc, im, torrent), picture
> and documents, archive maker/extractor and if possible multimedia
> (music, video). A few Linux apps like vnc, gparted or rescue apps,
> console would be nice but not necessary -- (why I want apt-get)

I currently use Debian Live.  I create my own images for USB using the
live-helper scripts.  The latest one I made came in at just over 700MB.
Here's the list of packages I specified to include (not all the
dependencies are listed):

lxde lxlauncher
desktop-base xfonts-mathml
gnome-icon-theme hicolor-icon-theme gnome-extra-icons
gnome-icon-theme-blankon gnome-icon-theme-dlg-neu
gnome-icon-theme-gartoon gnome-icon-theme-nuovo gnome-icon-theme-suede
gnome-icon-theme-yasis wm-icons
inkscape
virtualbox-ose virtualbox-ose-source
fluxbox fbpanel feh
vorbisgain flac audacious audacity grip vlc gnome-alsamixer
iceweasel swfdec-mozilla adblock-plus iceweasel-greasemonkey
iceowl
ekiga
rsync
evince openoffice.org
less vim-full xterm
gimp imagemagick feh
openssh-client
conky gkrellm gkrellm-volume
ntp nmap dnsutils iftop
gnomebaker cdw
wine cabextract

If you need pointers on how to do this yourself, let me know.  If you
want to give me a list of apps and have me make an image for you, I can
do that as long as you have a way for me to get it to you (rsync server,
ftp server, etc).

Note that I use fluxbox as my window manager, but I install LXDE as well
because brings in a lot of apps that I find handy.  Plus I intend to
experiment with using LXDE...someday.

-Rob