Re: VirtualBox or VMware?

Mark Allums wrote:
> Virtual PC is dead in the water.  With Windows 7, MS has gone the
> hypervisor route.  Virtual Server 2008 and later is a new(er) product.

    Not everyone is on W7.  For example my work machine, where I require VMs
the most, is on WinXP.  I'm sure not upgrading it to W7 on my dime.  ;)

>> has been plagued with performance problems from its inception and on
>> machines which support AMD-V/VT-x it likes to bluescreen the host OS if
>> you try to do anything remotely complex; like run more than one VM at a
>> time or run VMs under two different virtualizers.  IE, it is the typical
>> Microsoft schlock which should be avoided if at all possible.

> Let me repeat:  If you are doiong Windows (only), stick to MS product.
> Everyone else, ignore that.

    And let me reiterate, even if you are doing Windows only.  IE, Windows
host, Windows Guest, steer clear of Microsoft's solution as it is complete
crap.  I think it's pretty rude to quote where I point out the numerous
problems with Microsoft's tripe and then nudge people towards it.

> Virtualbox 3 got off to a rugged start, but six updates later, it is not
> too bad.  I use it.

    As of 3.0.6 my WinXP and Linux guests (on a WinXP host) gets this odd bug
where it cannot open new programs.  Programs already running continue to run.
 The only solution is to power-off the VM since, to exit, the guest needs to
start new a new program.  It took me forever to get back to a stable 2.2.4
install which let me run my VMs again without that bug happening.  As that's
on my work machine and I often swap between several different VMs in a night
and need them to Just Work(tm) I've not tried anything after 3.0.6 and
certainly avoid VPC.