Re: VirtualBox or VMware?

Steve Lamb wrote:
Mark Allums wrote:
Windows users should stick with MS Virtual Server.  Everyone else should
use VMWare or Xen or KVM or Virtualbox.

Oh hell no. VirtualPC hasn't been seriously updated in years,

Virtual PC is dead in the water. With Windows 7, MS has gone the hypervisor route. Virtual Server 2008 and later is a new(er) product.

has been
plagued with performance problems from its inception and on machines which
support AMD-V/VT-x it likes to bluescreen the host OS if you try to do
anything remotely complex; like run more than one VM at a time or run VMs
under two different virtualizers.  IE, it is the typical Microsoft schlock
which should be avoided if at all possible.

Let me repeat: If you are doiong Windows (only), stick to MS product. Everyone else, ignore that.

    Granted, VirtualBox as of the 3.x series has had some serious network
problems as well as some odd issues with Windows guests on Windows hosts but
at least it doesn't blue screen the host OS and when fighting for the
AMD-V/VT-x extensions and encounters a problem, fails gracefully.

Virtualbox 3 got off to a rugged start, but six updates later, it is not too bad. I use it.

Mark Allums