Re: live cd/usb projects?

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:30:02 +0100, Geoffrey Lane <freeballer@gmail.com> wrote:

Will try to make long story short here, I know I probably just need a larger drive to accommodate a full distro but I can't afford to right now. I have been reading but unsure of the outcome, being pulled into other directions. I also wanted to ask somethings before I start.

[ snip ]

I wonder first how many has done what I'm looking to do?

Perhaps many.

Are there some people using linux-live script to make one, or another method?

I am using dfsbuild (not really maintained, had to patch it) to make a similar (in extent, not in purpose) live CD. It contains some 5 kernels, gcc, gdb, cmake, some -dev packages, web browser (opera), emacs.

You may also have a look at the KDE Four live CD, and how they make it.

Am I making things to difficult? I mean are my expectation on size too much?

Difficult but not unattainable. But you'll probably have to use compression somehow (on the CD I use zisofs).

Are there projects like this (maintained)? My ideal cd is a "desktop replacement", I could use xfce, openbox, fluxbox, e17 - ANYTHING. I want things like internet apps (web, email, ftp, irc, im, torrent), picture and documents, archive maker/extractor and if possible multimedia (music, video). A few Linux apps like vnc, gparted or rescue apps, console would be nice but not necessary -- (why I want apt-get)

I'm not sure about the office apps, but I'm sure you can fit the rest on a CD, which is about the size you need.

Regards
    Jiri Palecek