Re: Lost window manager and gnome-panel

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:23:16PM EST, Rob Owens wrote:

[..]

> Somebody else mentioned it already, but I'll second it:  it is important
> to remove/rename the .gnome, .gconf, etc. files while not logged into
> Gnome.  In my experience they are written at logout from your Gnome
> session, so your problems will not go away if you are in Gnome when you
> remove/rename those files.

Yes, I'm pretty sure of that.

But there's also a distinct possibility that gnome keeps some user
specific data around across sessions.

To be on the safe side and dispel any lingering doubts as to whether
gnome recreates your user's configuration from scratch, that's what I
would do:

1. boot into Squeeze for a 'fresh start'
2. as soon as you see the GDM screen, drop to a linux console via an
   Alt+Ctrl+Fn
3. Log in as your regular user and rename/delete your config files
4. Alt+F7 back to GDM and login to gnome as your regular user

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I think that this procedure should ensure that
gnome will no chance to tamper with the config files behind your back.

The alternative is to mount the Squeeze partition from another system, or
use a rescue CD - now, that's really paranoid :-)

To the OP: I read the entire thread online, and it appears you come from
the Ubuntu world. I've never installed Squeeze, only did a dist-upgrade
on a sacrificial clone of lenny.. but does the install guide you through
setting up sudo for your regular user, or do you use /bin/su?

Hopefully, you don't log in to gnome as the superuser?

CJ