Re: Lost window manager and gnome-panel

On 09-11-23 13:31:14, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> 1) How can I fix Gnome? What part of the configuration starts
> metacity and gnome-panel when the user logs in? Note that I'll have
> to do this manually from XFCE, because I can't even get a terminal
> running in Gnome.

Try creating a new user.  If that user works properly in Gnome, it's
probably a user-specific config file, usually in a .gnome*/ directory,
and diff'ing the files may help (I suggest meld, but I use vimdiff
nowadays).

If a new user doesn't work, it's probably something you did in /etc.
`debsums -es` looks useful.  It won't check files created by the
install scripts.

> 2) How the heck did this happen? I did hundreds of things before I
> rebooted - which thing messed up Gnome? Can someone suggest a way to
> find out what I did to cause this so I can file a bug report or at
> least avoid doing it again?

Do more reboots / logins so you know sooner.  In general, be cautious
about copying config files around.  It's safer to merge them manually,
perhaps with meld.

TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>