Re: Lost window manager and gnome-panel

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:50:52 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> dijo:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:53:56 -0500
> Tony Nelson <tonynelson@georgeanelson.com> dijo:
>
> > On 09-11-23 13:31:14, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > > 1) How can I fix Gnome? What part of the configuration starts
> > > metacity and gnome-panel when the user logs in? Note that I'll have
> > > to do this manually from XFCE, because I can't even get a terminal
> > > running in Gnome.
> >
> > Try creating a new user.  If that user works properly in Gnome, it's
> > probably a user-specific config file, usually in a .gnome*/ directory,
> > and diff'ing the files may help (I suggest meld, but I use vimdiff
> > nowadays).
>
> Now, why didn't I think of that!
>
> Turns out that this was an excellent suggestion. I created a new user
> (using XFCE4), then logged out and back in as the new user. When my new
> user logged in I deliberately selected Gnome. And my new user got a
> default Gnome desktop, complete with window manager and gnome-panel.
>
> So now we know that the problem is something in my configuration.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that Nautilus has a bug where clicking
> on Preferences crashes it, so I used gconf-editor to change the way
> Nautilus works. I could go back and set Nautilus to defaults (I think
> there is an option somewhere for that), but I Gnome is not usable at
> the moment unless I log in as my new user.

Turns out that I can edit my configurations from an XFCE4 session as
long as I log in as myself. I changed only one thing - so Nautilus
would display the desktop. Then I logged out and back in again to Gnome
as myself. Still no metacity or gnome-panel, but at least now I could
create a launcher to start a terminal. I opened a terminal and started
metacity and gnome-panel, and now things look as they did before.

The problem is that if I log out and back in to Gnome again (or reboot
and log in to Gnome again) I will have to use the launcher to open a
terminal and start metacity and gnome-panel manually.

So now I am back to the original issue: What starts metacity and
gnome-panel during the session startup?