Re: SATA disk drivers missing from Debian 5.0.3 network installer

[No top posting[1] and no HTML please ]

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 07:04 -0800, Rigoberto Corujo wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-21, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote
> > On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 11:06 -0800, Rigoberto Corujo wrote:
> > >
> > > I am a new Debian user and am trying to install 5.0.3 over the
> > > network.  My server has SATA drives and the installer isn't
> > > recognizing them.  In other words, "cat /proc/partitions" shows
> > > nothing.
> >
> > > I noticed that the network version of the "initrd.gz" file is missing
> > > the ata_piix.ko and libata.ko drivers.   These drivers are present in
> > > the Debian distribution, however.  I tried copying the distribution's
> > > ata_piix.ko and libata.ko drivers into the initrd.gz, but they won't
> > > load because "insmod" says "Invalid module format".   Does anyone know
> > > if there's a workaround for this problem?
> >
> > Which Debian-Installer do you use ?
> > Where did you get the .ko modules from ?
>
> If I install directly from the DVD, which has the loadable kernel
> modules, the disks are properly recognized, which leads me to believe
> that the BIOS setting isn't the issue.

Agreed.

> This is the Debian Installer I used to install over the network:
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/i386/
>
> I also tried taking the libata.ko and ata_piix.ko modules from the
> [..] the DVD [..]
>
> # insmod libata.ko
> insmod: error inserting 'libata.ko' : -1 Invalid module format

I am not sure why it complains.

Interestingly, I never noticed that netboot images and CD images are
very different (see below). And that's reasonable: the initrd should
contains enough drivers, to be able to fetch the remaining
debian-installer .udeb (i.e modules and programs) :

+----------+-----+-----+
|DIR(2)    | CD  | NET |
|----------+-----+-----|
|acpi      | yes | yes |
|ata       | yes | --  |
|base      | yes | yes |
|block     | yes | yes |
|cdrom     | yes | --  |
|char      | yes | yes |
|hid       | yes | yes |
|ide       | yes | yes |
|ieee1394  | yes | yes |
|input     | yes | yes |
|leds      | --  | yes |
|misc      | yes | yes |
|mmc       | yes | yes |
|net       | --  | yes |
|parport   | yes | --  |
|pcmcia    | yes | yes |
|scsi      | yes | yes |
|serial    | yes | yes |
|ssb       | --  | yes |
|thermal   | yes | yes |
|usb       | yes | yes |
|video     | yes | yes |
|virtio    | --  | yes |
+----------+-----+-----+
(2) DIR: the directories in initrd's /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers

So, the initrd included on a CD/DVD must contains all the IDE, SATA and
CD drivers, so it can later fetch extra .udeb from the CD/DVD (the
network driver are then read from the cdrom
in /pool/main/l/linux-kernel-di-i386-2.6/nic-*)

On the other hand, the initrd provided for netbooting must include all
the drivers so it can later download the extra .udeb from the network.
(the IDE, SATA, CD/DVD drivers are downloaded from
http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-kernel-di-i386-2.6/ )

So, to solve your problem, you probably just have to netboot and proceed
through Debian-Installer menu. Once the network is configured, D-I will
detect the hardware and download the appropriate packages.

If I am correct, your disk should be detected nicely before the
partitioning stage !

If you still have problem, you can send *me* the logs. To retrieve D-I
logs, follow the instruction in this wiki page (screenshots and logs are
retrieved the same way):
  http://wiki.debian.org/ScreenShots#debian-installer-gui

Franklin

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#toc