no sound

Not sure what happened, and I don't know where to look for processes that are
maybe orphaned, or running wild..
I tried to play an MP3 with mplayer now it says:
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

I have this process running:
 /usr/lib/gnome-volume-manager/gnome-volume-manager --sm-disable
/usr/bin/timidity -Os -iAD

a video in Firefox doesn't say anything, it is just silent.

Amarok opens and says:
xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers.

I forget what app I tried, but I do recall one saying that the device was
being used by another process, but I can't find anything running. where to
look?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800