Re: printing confusion

Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Sat November 21 2009, Wayne wrote:
In the cups interface http://localhost:631/printers  pick the printer
and, in squeeze anyway, select  in the administration dropdown select
Modify printer. Select  Continue on the first two selections until you
get to the 3rd which allows you to select different PPDs.  I tried all
the selections for the HP6P and found that the HP LaserJet 6P
foomatic/ljdith worked best for me.  Once you highlight your selection
click Modify Printer.  You can then set the options you want the printer
  to have, like dpi, etc.  Then find the 'print test page' to try it out.

I am happy with my setup in CUPS, that is not the issue. the Gutenprint printer driver is the best I have found for my Epson R380 printer. My issue is with the lpr.log file:
# more lpr.log
Nov 21 05:42:29 paulandcilla lpd[11629]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory
Nov 21 05:43:30 paulandcilla lpd[11702]: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory

this is from lpd, not CUPS ( I think ??) and I am not sure what it means or how to get rid of it. Should I not have lpr installed? do I need it?
# dpkg --list lpr
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
ii  lpr            1:2008.05.17   BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling system

if I try to remove it, it also wants to remove:
libwine-print lsb-core

Install the cups-bsd package. see the output of
'apt-cache show cups-bsd'

I would do
aptitude purge lpd
aptitude install cups-bsd libwine-print lsb-core

Wayne