Re: i915 kms, init runlevel 2 switches virtual console

On 2009-11-22 16:30 +0100, Martin Kraus wrote:

> Hi. I'm using debian testing with vanilla kernel 2.6.32-rc8. I've staticaly
> compiled i915 with kms enabled and it acctually works.

Why not build it as a module and load it from initramfs?  That is what I do.

> The only thing that
> annoyes me is that after init runs runlevel 2, it automatically switches to vt
> 4 (I have only 4 vt running from init) a continues boot messages there. I'm
> not sure what does that, I'm suspecting console-setup of doing that.

I also have console-setup installed, and it does not do that here.
Might be an issue with GDM (which I do not use).

> Also, kernel switches the required video mode a bit later then vesafb did. Is
> there a way to set this on the kernel command line? I've read that it is
> recommended to get rid of the vga=<mode>. I've tried setting this via video=
> parameter, but I guess inteldrmfb doesn't support modedb.

If you build it as module, the initramfs scripts translate the video=
parameter into something the module understands.  Thus, video=i915 is
sufficient if you enable KMS by default (CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y).

Sven